Looking to get in some bright Mediterranean flavours within a tasty soup? This dish is your answer.
This hearty soup is light and refreshing yet filling. Canned cannellini beans, chopped veggies like carrots and celery, all mixed in with some tasty herbs and spices.
The combination of onion, celery and carrot is called a ‘mirepoix’ and is classically used as a flavour base to many dishes in the Mediterranean.
It is naturally vegan, however make sure to check if the vegetable stock you are using is suitable for vegans.
You can also use butter beans instead of cannellini beans if you prefer.
Adding citrus such as lemon at the end of cooking allows it to maintain its freshness. If cooked for too long it can start to have a bitter taste. Adding soft herbs such as parsley at the end of cooking also allows them to maintain their fresh flavour and vibrant colour.
Mediterranean-style meals are known for their great health benefits as well as their great taste, and this soup packs a punch!
Cannellini beans, or white beans in general, are a great plant-based source of protein and fiber. They contain lots of important nutrients too, including folate, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
Carrots are low in fat and calories, but contain lots of potassium, biotin and vitamins A (from beta carotene), K1 (phylloquinone), and B6.
Celery contains lots of antioxidants and is high in minerals like potassium and folate as well as vitamins A, C and K.
Many herbs and spices also offer excellent health benefits too. Both paprika and cumin may have been linked with having anti-inflammation properties for example.
So if you’re looking to cut your meat down with a filling meal, this ticks all the boxes. Let’s jump right in!
Mediterranean White Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1.5 l vegetable stock
- 800 g canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- small pack of parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium high heat. Once hot, add the chopped onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, until golden brown and softened, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika and thyme and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock, cannellini beans and oregano. Season with salt and pepper then simmer until slightly reduced and the flavour has intensified, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir the lemon zest, juice and parsley through the soup. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you like then divide between bowls and serve.