These easy veggie wraps are perfect if you’re looking for a quick lunch while following the Mediterranean diet.
They are full of veggies, contain a good amount of protein, and taste delicious. When you’re busy at work, these will be a lifesaver!
About This Recipe
I had a couple of tortillas leftover from this week’s shopping, so this is a great chance to experiment with some different wraps.
I always hate having to cook anything too extravagant for lunch, so these healthy vegetarian Mediterranean wraps were perfect.
To make the hummus, it’s just blending a combination of chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. You can peel the chickpeas for a smoother hummus, but for me, the extra time it takes to do this doesn’t really justify the end result.
While you’re blending the hummus (if you aren’t using storebought), you can chop all your veggies for your Mediterranean wrap recipe. I used tomatoes, cucumber and black olives with a sprinkling of feta cheese.
If you’re eating the wrap straight away, then you can also heat up the tortilla. This melts the feta a bit and really melts in your mouth.
You can either use a microwave or even to warm them up, or gently toast them in a dry pan. If you’re taking them to away for lunch or bulk making them, you can skip this part.
Essentially these vegetarian Mediterranean wraps are a cheap, convenient and healthy lunch to make ahead and keep in the fridge or taken to work.
Why You Should Try It
- They’re perfect for busy people without much time. Let’s be honest, preparing lunch food can be a pain when you are working. No one has enough time during the morning and if you leave the house without lunch, you can just buy something during your lunch break. These wraps can be prepared in less than 5 minutes without any cooking required and easily taken with you in some tupperware.
- They contain good amounts of protein and veggies. If you’re looking for a good health kick, then these wraps are great. There are multiple servings of vegetables with the tomatoes and cucumber whilst the hummus and feta cheese add an extra protein boost.
- They taste great and are easily customizable. If you have any leftover veggies, then this is a great time to use them up. The ingredients are what you find in a Greek salad and combine for a wonderfully satisfying wrap.
- Tortilla – we’ve used wholemeal tortillas for this recipe. Wholemeal, or whole wheat tortillas are higher in fiber, which is a macronutrient that helps you stay full without eating as many calories – perfect for those trying to lose weight! They are also higher in B vitamins. However, if you only have white tortillas, don’t fret, as they can easily be used in this recipe.
- Spread – hummus is used as a spread for the wrap and is another healthy ingredient made from chickpeas. If you’re following a Mediterranean diet, you should be trying to eat more legumes. Hummus is an excellent choice as it contains good amounts of protein, fiber, and other vitamins and minerals. You can buy it storebought or make your own homemade hummus. If you don’t have hummus, you can use Greek or natural yogurt (or use both hummus and yogurt!).
- Cheese – feta is used in this recipe to add to the taste of the fillings and adds a creamy and tangy bit of flavor to the wrap! Other cheeses like goat’s cheese work well. If you want an even healthier recipe, choose low-fat cheese such as mozzarella or cottage cheese.
- Fillings – we’ve used ingredients that would make up a greek salad like tomatoes, olives, and cucumber. These combine really nicely and don’t require any cooking. If you want to try some other combinations including avocadoes, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, and eggplant – anything in your fridge. If you have time to cook, then this will increase your options. You can even cook up some chicken breast if you want extra protein and meat in your lunch.
Extra Sandwich And Wrap Recipes
- Grilled Vegetable Panini
- Chicken Avocado Wrap
- Vegan Tofu Wrap
- Sweet Potato and Halloumi Wrap
- Falafel Wrap
- Beet and Hummus Wrap
No-Cook Mediterranean Wraps
These vegetarian Mediterranean wraps are the perfect lunchbox meal for those busy days out of the house. They're healthy, full of protein and ready in less than 5 minutes.
- ¼ cup (50g) cherry tomato
- ½ cucumber
- 3 Kalamata black olives
- 1 large wholemeal tortilla wrap
- 25g feta cheese
- 1 tbsp houmous
- Chop the tomatoes, cut the cucumber into sticks, split the olives, and remove the stones
- Spread the houmous over the wrap. Put the vegetable mix in the middle and roll up.
- You can heat the tortilla before adding the vegetables fillings to melt the feta cheese.
- Don't fill the wrap too full so that you can fold the sides of the tortilla without the filling falling through.
Amount Per Serving Calories 359Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 22mgSodium 718mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 12g
Want More Delicious, Mediterranean Style Recipes?
If you’ve cooked this recipe, be sure to leave a comment or review! But if you’re looking for more:
- Find more Mediterranean-style recipes on our website.
- Try our free 7 day Mediterranean diet plan with 20 recipes.
- Get our 4-week Mediterranean diet plan, Med in 28 plan, that makes following the Mediterranean diet a breeze!