Cooking healthy meals is easier if you stock your cupboards with staples common to many Mediterranean dishes.
This shopping list will show what your basic options are for a Mediterranean diet shopping list whilst keeping things as straightforward as possible.
Printable Mediterranean Diet Shopping List
To make your life easier, we’ve created a standard shopping list including the key essentials.
Mediterranean Diet Shopping List Breakdown
It is always a good idea to shop at the perimeter of the store, that’s usually where the whole foods are found.
Always try to choose the least processed option. Organic is best, but only if you can easily afford it.
- Vegetables: Carrots, onions, broccoli, spinach, kale, garlic, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, etc.
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Frozen vegetables: Choose mixes with healthy vegetables.
- Grains: Whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, etc.
- Legumes: Lentils, pulses, beans, etc.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, cashwes, etc.
- Spices: pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, basil etc.
- Fish: Salmon, sardines, mackarel, trout, shrimp etc
- Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes.
- Greek Yogurt.
- Eggs (organic/free-range).
- Extra virgin olive oil.
It is best to clear all unhealthy temptations from your home, including sodas, ice cream, candy, pastries, white bread, crackers and all sorts of processed foods.
If you only have good food in your home, you will eat good food.
What You Should Do Next
1. If you’d like to try the Mediterranean diet plan, get a free 7 day Mediterranean Diet plan (including 20 recipes, a corresponding meal plan and shopping list.
2. If you are serious about starting a Mediterranean diet, check out ‘Med in 28’ plan, which helps build healthy Mediterranean eating habits in 28 days.
3. If you’re looking to start cooking Mediterranean recipes—or need some inspiration—then like our Facebook page.