Eggnog is a traditional spicy holiday beverage that is mostly taken during winter. It is traditionally made with milk, cream, sugar, whipped egg whites, and egg yolks.
This article will cover what eggnog tastes like and common questions related to its taste.
What Does Eggnog Taste Like?
You might be wondering where the word eggnog comes from.
The egg part of the word is easy to explain. Eggnog contains eggs, but eggs aren’t the main ingredient.
In fact, good eggnog barely has an eggy taste.
The word “nog” means a strong ale formerly brewed in Norfolk, England.
Others think it has something to do with “noggin,” a type of mug several centuries ago.
Eggnog has a sweet flavour instead of the savoury flavour. A glass of eggnog tastes like melted ice cream that rolls down your throat smoothly.
Sometimes, people compare eggnog’s taste to that of a custard ice cream. They are both creamy and rich, with a spicy overtone because of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.
There’s honestly no accurate comparison with eggnog’s taste, so you should definitely try it yourself.
Does Eggnog Taste like Bubblegum?
Yes and no.
Eggnog tastes like bubblegum to some people, but to most people, it doesn’t.
Some people think it tastes like bubblegum flavoured whole milk.
Eggnog can taste like bubblegum because of its ingredients.
The beverage is made from milk, sugar, eggs, alcohol, nutmeg, and or cinnamon.
You can also detect bubblegum flavour in other alcoholic mixtures.
How to Make Eggnog Taste Better
If you want to add more flavour and pizzazz to your eggnog, here are a few things to try:
- You can add nutmeg to your eggnog. Get some fresh nutmeg and grate it on top of your mug of eggnog. You will be surprised at how much of a difference it makes.
- Do you know what’s nicer than spice? Spiced rum! If you want to try something new and exciting, splash a little spiced rum into your glass of bland eggnog.
- A weird but tasty combination is eggnog and pumpkin puree. We know it sounds disgusting, but it makes the eggnog taste that much better!
- Add some bittersweet chocolate to your eggnog. Eggnog already contains milk, so adding more milk won’t make a difference. However, shaving a little bittersweet chocolate on top of your eggnog is the best thing to do for a rich flavor.
- The easiest and most straightforward way to add flavor to your eggnog is to add some cinnamon. Sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top of your eggnog, it makes any eggnog taste so much better!
- If you want something that’s alcoholic and sweet at the same time, you can add whipped cream vodka to your eggnog. The vodka adds a certain creamy sweetness to the eggnog, which makes it even more flavourful.
- You can even add cognac to your eggnog. If you want it to have a homemade feeling, just mix your eggnog and cognac in a jug and serve.
How to Serve Eggnog
You can serve eggnog in many different ways, depending on your preference and taste.
You can serve your eggnog with or without alcohol, with thick or light cream or even spices. You can add rum, whiskey or brandy to your eggnog to give it more of a holiday feel.
This Starbucks Eggnog Latte Recipe is a great choice if you’re looking for a specific recipe.
You can add heavy cream to give your eggnog a thick consistency. You can also top thinner eggnog with whipped cream. Some eggnog drinks require only yolks, while others require a lot of eggs.
You can add other toppings like clove and cinnamon.
Do you Drink Eggnog Hot or Cold?
You can drink your eggnog hot or cold. It is more common to drink it cold, but a lot of people prefer it warm.
You can take it warm by adding a shot of dark rum or brandy and heating up the mixture in your microwave.
It tastes even better when you thin it down with 2% milk.
To heat your eggnog, pour it in a microwave-safe mug and microwave it at thirty-second intervals until it is warm or hot enough for you. The amount of time it takes to microwave depends on the power of your microwave and the temperature you want.
Warm eggnog pairs perfectly with chocolate cake, and tastes fantastic on cold nights.
The classic and traditional way to serve eggnog is by taking it cold. It doesn’t require any additional preparation. You just have to pour your cold eggnog into a glass or mug.
It tastes great with baked goods that contain cream or milk.
Can You Freeze Eggnog?
Yes, you can freeze eggnog for up to six months.
To get the best results, freeze your eggnog in a container with about half an inch of space left so that it can expand in the freezer.
Frozen eggnog should keep for around six months, whether it is homemade or store-bought.
To Sum Up
Eggnog is an amazing beverage that you should definitely taste this holiday. Nevertheless, you need to take it in moderation.
Make sure you don’t drink eggnog made with raw eggs. Instead, you can boil or pasteurise the eggs. You can even take vegan eggnog instead.
Remember, everyone has different preferences, so you might like your eggnog made differently from the next person.